Dark Helix Ezine
Dark Helix Press began publishing an ezine starting May 2018 for the purpose of helping authors market themselves. Think of it as a Costco magazine sampler with words instead of food!
This ezine will be released three times per year, in Spring, Summer and Fall. Each issue will feature 1 editorial piece by an editor and 5 writers. As submissions are received and accepted, we will keep updating this page.
What we are looking for: flash fiction (<2000 words), editorial pieces (<2000 words) and poetry (<100 lines) according to each issue’s theme. In addition, each author will be asked for a description of what inspired the piece (more info below) to share with readers. Editorial piece can be about writing or publishing, mention of the theme is not necessary.
Reminder – we are not looking for erotica or extremely violent stories. We are interested in creative stories with a twist as our editors are writers and they like to be surprised.
Call For Submissions for Upcoming Issues
We will be doing rolling submissions, check often for change in issue status.
Issue #4 – Summer 2019 publication (Submission deadline of April 1, 2019)
- Theme – Office Cubicle Farm, stories start at a cubicle or office job and can end up anywhere!
- Stories that take place in the office or is part of the plot preferred
- One story with animals as office workers would be great!
- Seeking: 1 Editorial piece (filled), 4 pieces of writing (0 pieces received, looking for 4 more pieces)
Issue #5 – Fall 2019 publication (Submission deadline of June 1, 2019)
- Theme – “Genders”, pieces involving hetero or QUILTBAG characters with story emphasis on gender
- Seeking: 1 Editorial piece (filled), 5 pieces of writing (0 pieces received, looking for 5 more pieces)
- cover page should have name, address, email, word count
- format should be 12 font, times new roman, single space
- send as a word .doc/.docx file to darkhelixpress at gmail.com with subject line “Ezine Issue X – name of story”
This is a marketing platform for writers and Dark Helix Press will not be offering compensation. Our value proposition for each author:
- author will work with an editor
- an author Q & A promo page asking you the following: a. what inspired the written story (behind the scenes/words), b. blurb on latest project and c. advice for new writers (give us 250 words for a-c). Also include a short 70 word bio which we will attach to your work.
- social media marketing – we will tweet and post on Facebook an excerpt from your story. If you have a twitter account we will tag you.
- you may add the ezine as another line on your writer’s resume!
Ad Placement Information
Rates – $10 USD for half a page (8.5″ x 5.5″), $25 USD for full page (8.5″ x 41″), $25 USD for custom ad work and final jpeg file for future use. Any ad revenue will go towards marketing, printing and distribution at trade shows/conferences.
Sample ad design
Email darkhelixpress at gmail.com for more information.